Emily - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: love

I believe there is a special person meant for everyone. People find their special persons at different periods in their lives. Some find them after divorces with others not meant for them. Others find them early in life, in the boys or girls they date, but don’t realize it until later on.

As I have begun my teenage stage in life, I have started to understand what it feels like to think there is pressure all around me to have a boy friend. Many other girls my age, or so it would seem, have a boyfriend or someone that admires them or maybe just someone they admire. This gives the impression that everybody needs a boyfriend or girlfriend, but that isn’t true.

I have found that having a boyfriend at a young age isn’t really worth it. I had my first boyfriend in the 5th grade and all that happened was he ended up dumping me for some other girl who was prettier than I was and who was shorter than he was. I am now in the 8th grade and am just beginning to understand that boyfriends shouldn’t be the center of our attention.

Boyfriends and girlfriends are meant to be people that you think are truly right for you and that you may spend the rest of your life with. At a young age, I wasn’t really thinking about who I was going to marry when I grew up. I wasn’t thinking about the actual maturity it takes to be in a relationship. I was most likely thinking about when my brothers and I could go outside and play Star Wars with our fake light sabers. Right now in school there is too much for me to be worrying about that is more important than trying to get a boyfriend, but to tell the truth, I actually asked a boy if he would go out with me the other day. He said he liked me better as a friend and I think that is what really made me realize that I had given into what everyone else was giving into. I now understand better why my mom reasons the way she does when it comes to relationships at young ages.

I can tell it is going to be difficult to try and wait until I find the person that is truly meant for me, but I am sure he is out there somewhere waiting just like I am. Of course I shouldn’t worry about that right now and neither should the rest of the young adults around my age. Finding the right person doesn’t really mean you go out and look or hunt for someone you think is right. Finding them may take a while, but I believe there is someone, somewhere, who is waiting just like the rest of us. There is a special person meant for every body. This I believe.