Nicolas - Portland, Oregon
Themes: integrity

Life is filled with many different strong beliefs. how do you decide what belief should be the strongest? is it the one people are telling you should be, or the one your gut decision is poking at. The one thing that has always been in my gut is honesty. Honesty is he cornerstone of my life. Without honesty, I run helplessly, looking for a lie to lead me into hopeless distress.

When I was a young kid, I was too afraid to tell my parents the truth about bad things I did and I thought would make them mad. One day I was riding my bike and I was going to ride across the road and a car hit me. The man stopped and got out to see if I was okay. The man told me I was okay and I thought it was my fault so I just walked away and acted like everything was okay. When my parents thought something was up I denied anything of a wrong doing. If I had only told them the truth from the beginning and been honest, I would have been okay and realized it wasn’t my fault but rather it was the fault of the guy who hit me. honesty is important in almost all situations and I learned that the hard way.

Just now i am learning how bad it is to be lied to. I had a girlfriend of a year and a half. We were not just boyfriend and girlfriend but best friends, from what I thought. I trusted her with my life. On her birthday she broke up with me and about 3 weeks later we got back together and I asked her if she had anything to tell me, if there was another guy, she denied it and it came back to haunt both of us. About 4 months after getting back together, I felt that something was up and I confronted her and she kept lying to my face, telling me there was nothing. She finally broke down and told me everything for the most part. It was one of the worst pains I have ever felt emotionally. To know that someone I trusted with everything, was lying directly to my face with ease.

From my life experience, I have found that almost every mistake that hurts, comes from someone not being honest. I am only finding out now how important honesty is in life and relationships. That the world release on honesty to keep it spinning. Honesty should never be underestimated in any circumstances.

This I believe.