Matthew - Portland, Oregon

This I believe

Music: This I believe is the salvation of my life. Without music I am like a guitar without its strings. With music your opinions and outlooks on life change. It floods through your mind twisting your emotions. It’s what makes us as humans feel. It is the foundation that our lives are built on. It’s like a companion that never leaves your side, the more you listen the deeper your relationship will grow. Music is an escape from the stresses of everyday life. For many people around the world it creates a safe haven for them to go to, and lets them express themselves. Music is, and will always be, the hero we look up to in our lives.

I think very highly of music, and I should since I’ve grown up with it all my life. Ever since I was a little kid that’s all I can remember doing. It’s as if it was imbedded into my DNA since I was born. Music has inspired my writing material and art inspirations. It gives me a way to express myself through what I do, who I am, and how I act. But music doesn’t just help me excel in those areas it helps me excel in simple things like sports to. There is nothing like getting pumped before a race. The best feeling is having that song in your head driving you through the competition. Music has even taught me how to play all different kinds of instruments like guitar, drums, bass guitar, piano, and the trumpet. It has definitely inspired my career choice, that someday I will be a traveling musician. I came to this conclusion after attending numerous concerts and playing with many other musicians for years. Through all of this I have gained a great amount of patience and learned that practice really does make perfect. Music has even driven my political views and opinions on world events. Music is my final destination for my entire life. This is the path that I want to travel down. I couldn’t see myself doing anything else.