Kristina - Portland, Oregon
Themes: carpe diem

Looking at myself today I would say I’ve changed a lot over the high school years. I’ve changeded for the better. I’ve learned not to contemplate so much over the past and future. When I do, I seem to get overwhelmed with even more worries than before. I find that focusing on the present is a key to being happy. I believe that being able to look past what has already happened and what may happen helps me focus on what is going on during my present life.

I use to let my past effect who I was and I was

always thinking of what was going to happen next. I was always thinking and analyzing every situation or every possible situation. I didn’t realzie this until my boyfriend pointed it out. He told me the only reason why I was unhappy is because I never took enough time to enjoy my life. I was so caught up in

everything else and didn’t notice what was going on that was right in front of me or the things that really mattered the most.

For the longest time I thought I was in control of my thoughts, emotions, and life. The truth is that I wasn’t in control when I could be. All I had to do was stop living in the past and future. It’s so much easier said then done. It took awhile to learn how to loosen up and cherish the moments that was happening.

Unexpected milestones has led me to these thoughts. Which has led me to these feelings. There are memories of the past that I hope to hold on to, but I don’t have to hold the bad memories too. I have dreams of the future that may not come true or may not be realistic, so why keep lingering? Which has made me stop allowing my past and my future effect me. Instead I should be focusing on the present. Just like at this moment, I just ate dinner and my stomach is full and I’m feeling content. I’ll just focus on that and I’ll be happy. This is my life and I will continue to keep control of it and overcome the past and future as it comes.