Jordan - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: family, setbacks

This I believe

Growing up my mom has never been my role model. I believe you learn from your parents mistakes. I didn’t grow up in the greatest household, my mom has always been single and I don’t know what its like to live in a 2 story house.

I’ve missed out on most of my teenage life because I’ve had to stay home and watch my 2 younger siblings. I’ve never been invited to a party or invited to go out with a bunch of friends. The father of my two siblings is never around and my mother spends way to much time trying to give him a better life. My mother’s relationship with him has affected my life and has changed my outlook on life. My mother has never had a healthy relationship and it scares me to think that I will end up just like her. I have learned so much from my mom and I thank her for teaching what’s right and what’s wrong. When I was younger ever since 3rd grade the teachers would ask, “Who are your role models?” I decided to be like everyone else and put my mother, but every time, I would think to myself is she really my role model, do I really look up to her. No I don’t, I have learned over the coarse of my life that my role model is myself.

I have learned to be independent and to live my life not my mother’s life. Yes I have made my mistakes but they are not the mistakes my mother’s made

The mistakes I made was bringing my IPOD to school and getting it stolen twice. My mother has made mistakes that not only jeopardize her life but mine and my siblings. It hurts me to think she would choose him over her three children. My mothers decisions has made her lose the best job she’s ever had, lost a lot of money behind him, didn’t have a car for a while, and most importantly me as her daughter has lost some kind of respect for her. It kills me to think this way but I know in the future that I will never make the mistakes my mother has made.

Learn from mistakes because they can help you make the right decisions later on in life.