Life and Lemons

Benjamin - Portland, Oregon

“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” I’ve heard it said many times. it means that you can make the best of what ever situation you’re in. But it goes both ways, some times life can give you ice cream, and you can turn it into something awful. It doesn’t really matter what life gives you, because in the end, life is what you make of it.

I have ruined what could have been fun, simply by believing nothing could cheer me up. Not long ago, I went to Hawaii, one of the greatest vacation sites on Earth. I was surrounded by surf, sun and fun, but all I did was think about the negatives of the situation. I was unable to enjoy myself on what should have been a fun vacation, simply because I refused to be happy. Life had given me a Hawaiian vacation, but I made it into a pessimistic trip using only a bad attitude.

But I’ve also been in what should have been bad situations and made them good. A few years ago, I was trapped in my home with my family during a fierce thunderstorm, in which we had no electricity or heat. This was a bad situation to be sure, but I wasn’t miserable in the least. Instead of brooding in cold and darkness, I lit some candles, grabbed some blankets and a deck of cards and had a fun time with my family. Life had inarguably given me an unpleasant situation, but I made it into an enjoyable experience using only a positive attitude.

Life is what you make of it. Your life can be so much better if you only try to make it that way. I had a choice when I started high school: I could remain angsty and brooding, like I had in middle school. Or I could try and make the best of my high school years and have some fun. I’ve made my high school years enjoyable because that is what I chose to make of it. I joined a club, I went to sports events, I talked to new people, I did so many things that I could have chosen not to do. I did them all because I believe that life is what you make of it, and only you can make the decisions to make it better.

Life still throws me lemons, and ice cream as well, but whether or not those things can end up good is still up to me. Life is only as good or bad as you want it to be, this I believe. And I also believe that the first and most important step to improving your life is to choose to be happy instead of sad. Try something that will make you happy, and you might just see that your life is what you make of it.