Ryan - Portland, Oregon
Themes: hope

I believe in optimism, not the kind where you substitute your own realities to make life seem better, but the kind that keeps you from feeling depressed. The kind that makes each day enjoyable even if a few things go amiss. I will admit that I was a bit pessimistic as a child, always seeing the glass as half empty. As I grew into my teens, the pessimistic outlook and the pressure to do the best in school became very stressful.

I needed to relieve the stress, and since school was not getting any easier, I decided to change the way I look at life. A bit of a drastic change, but it was necessary to prevent me from falling down a hole I didn’t want to fall in. This of course did not happen over night; instead it slowly occurred over a school year of personal training. I taught myself to see the good in even the bleakest of situations. Like on a Monday, I would dread the rest of the week, I would think to myself well since it’s Monday, then it’s almost Tuesday which is almost Wednesday and so on till Friday. This frame of mind made the week seem to go by faster. As the year progressed my mood picked up and instead of thinking about all the bad things that could happen, I focused on the good. With this renewed view of the world, life seemed a lot more enjoyable, when you don’t let the little problems affect you. I still kept in mind that it is important to keep a balance of optimism and realism, because some situations need to be dealt with seriously.

In every situation there are positive and negative aspects. Depending on which one you always look at affects your total outlook of your life. Even if you are optimistic, it is good to know the negative side to keep a realistic view. My optimistic view keeps me happy even if life becomes less than desirable. If life ever gets you down, rather than thinking about what is wrong, focus on what is right, in optimism I believe.