Ryan - Portland, Oregon

I believe that other people are just as important as I am, that we should treat all people with equal respect and that were not in this world alone. This is very important to me because I am a very shy person and don’t like being in the spotlight. But I do like to encourage people and help them do great things that I wouldn’t even dare to try.

I first learned this when I started working at redbrick pizza. I met a bunch of new people and I learned to use my skills to add to my co-workers skills and then create the ultimate work environment. For about a year I have been working on building other people up by giving them praise and never using any “put down” words. For the most this has worked, sometimes I mess up and say something I don’t mean to say. But that is something I need to work on.

I have had a lot of experiences where my “friends” would not be supportive of me and in return, I felt like I was worthless and that something was wrong with me. I have found new friends now and one that is helping me through a really tough time in my life right now. I now realize that friends can make who I am or tear me apart.

When I first thought about what I believed in all of the things that I just wrote came to my mind. Respect, encouragement, building other people up and just being there for people. I have now put all of that together and it ends up that I believe in FRIENDS and that you should always try to make new friends. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and who thought could be your friend turns into someone ,who it seems like, main goal in life is to bring you down. That’s why I believe that your friends make who you are.