Bree - Portland, Oregon
Themes: freedom

The other day someone calle me a “Scene Kid”. Scene kids are the neew generation’s version of a clash between the emo and gothic culture. I am not one of these “scene kids”. I don’t understand why people have this pressing determination to put labels on everyone and everything. I hate labels and stereotypes, although I will honestly admit that I have on occasion labeled someone or stereotyped someone. I don’t agree with it, but I still do it? Why? Because it’s what society has shaped me into… into this conformist wave of people. The idea of being unique and individual is only duely noted if I completely and extremely wanted to express myself. I believe in a label-free society of free expression.

I admire those people who have the will to step out of the box and openly express themselves .They’re the ones who look Adversity straight in the eye and say, “Screw you Adversity, screw you.”

That takes guts. In my opinion, it is the people who ridicule other people who are most timid to face Adversity, they in fact lack the will to do so.

I very much dislike people who feel the need to shove negative attention unto others in a sorry attempt to ensure that negative attention doesn’t have the chance to shift unto themselves. And as much as I slam those kinds of people, I can’t even hint that I’m the type of person brave enough to stand up against them. I lack the courage, and I lack the speaking ability. Unless I know that someone else will back me up, I will remain this silent being through the rest of the conversation. Thinking only to myself how much I disagree.

As a result of this revelationn to myself, I have in fact begun to step out of my comfort zone in an effort to express myself. I had always felt held back by my friends and others around me. But i honestly don’t care anymore. I believe that when faced with Adversity, if I can hold my ground, then I will have limitless ability to live my life as free as I possibly can. When everyone can do this, I believe that we will live within a better, more free expressive world.