Deirdre - Portland, Oregon

Everything that we do no matter how little it may seem will have an impact on this world. We get to choose whether we make our mark a good one or a not so good one. Alan Alda once said “No man or woman of the humblest sort can really be strong, gentle, and good, without the world being better for it, without someone being helped and comforted by the very existence of that goodness.’ If we can learn to really be good people, and do good things for other people, i believe that we can all make a positive difference in this world.

Spending a weekend in New York City this summer i saw a lot of instances of people doing good. One morning i saw 2 busy businessmen stop to help an old man who had dropped all of his art supplies. They helped him pick up everything and even wished him a good day. New yorkers often have the reputation of being rude, but i didn’t really see any of that while i was there.

There is one story almost everyone has probably heard about a man named dan. Dan helps this old lady change her flat tire when no one else stops to help, even though he will be late to work. The lady is so struck by his kindness that later in the day when she stops at a coffee shop she decides to pass the kindness she felt on to someone else. Her waitress id very pregnant and very frazzled, but is still kind and sweet. The lady leaves behind a very nice tip as she slips out the door. The waitress is amazed, it was just enough to help pay the rent, and maybe have a little extra to decorate the babies room. Later that night when she returns home she whispers into her husbands ear, “I love you Dan.” This story always impacts me, and i know it’s something that could really happen every day.

Although everyone has an opportunity to make a positive mark on this world, not everyone chooses to. There are always going to be people who want to bring everyone one else down, who want us to come down to their level. But if we can get past them and realize what we really want for ourselves and future generations we will know what we should really do.

So weather it’s a big thing like helping some one build a new house, or something small like giving some extra change to a homeless person, i know i can change this world for the better, and so can you.