Tyler - Portland, Oregon

I am a free-spirited but responsible youth, I’ve been in detention once and for what I will not speak of. My life has been a frenzy of random whims mixed with tranquility, capitalized by the greatest experiences of my life. There is one common element that links all the zeniths of my life together, that one outstanding thread is fun. On the opposite side of the spectrum is disappointment. These are the times in my life that I loathe. The only thing that brings me out of this epitomized sorrow is fun.

Throughout my life I have had to learn how to deal with adversity. The only way that I know how to negate the effects of troubling times is fun. I use my skill to have fun every time my family is uprooted and has to move to a new location. At these times I am often without friends or family. I would be a completely different person had I not known how to have fun. I would not be outgoing, a leader, or fun to be around had I not dealt with adversity through the means of fun. Fun is the main element in which I have transformed myself into a person worth being around.

The character of a person is clearly visible through the activities that they choose to immerse themselves in. In other words, the type of fun one has determines the worth that you have of yourself. All of my idols as a child had fun, they were also my childhood idols because they possessed qualities that I myself wanted to achieve. They were people in professional sports, my father, and various other adult figures who possessed the qualities which made them not only likable, but that’s what other people strive to achieve.

This element is the essential element that separates us from monkeys. It is the only human characteristic that animals cannot possess. It is essential for us to have fun or else we might as well not exist. Our character is defined by the amount of fun we have. I owe my life to fun.