Robert - Portland, Oregon

In today’s world, everybody has their own intentions. They have a certain goal or task they are trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, people are often hurt in some way by the action of others. These actions are usually never deliberate, but misunderstandings occur and people develop unwanted feelings.

More often than not, these feelings are exaggerated and only cause unneeded stress. This happens every day, like a driver cutting you off, somebody not holding the door open as you go through, or an accidental dropped call. These are all very minor disturbances, but some choose to dwell on them.

I choose not to bother. In reality I will probably never see the driver that cut me off again in my life. Even if I do, I won’t recognize him and will have forgotten the incident. To me, there is no point in worrying.

Others see me as being passive or too emotionless to do anything about it. Don’t get me wrong, I do take notice to these things but I let it go almost immediately. If things are serious, I get involved. Otherwise, I give no emotional weight to the accidents others make. Even as a high school student, I have almost eliminated the stress from my life. I can do all of my everyday activities with an almost meditative sense.

I learned to follow this attitude after a very traumatizing event in my life. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 10, received surgery, radiation treatment and lived through years of depression. There was never such a horrible moment in my life. After lots of time pouting and senseless sulking, I realized something. There was never such a horrible moment in my life, but that moment was over. I had nothing to fuss about any more.

From that day on I can see all of the little annoyances in every day life as being miniscule compared to what I have gone through in the past. As with most negative experiences in our lives, we go through a very positive paradigm shift. The way we think and view the world becomes clearer and we learn that maybe all that is bad really isn’t so bad after all.