Ben - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe that things in life shouldn’t be taken for granted, for you never know what the future holds for you. Very often, I hear people complain about how miserable their life is and how bad off they are. I hear things like how irritating parents are and how frustrating it is to be around them. When I hear complaints like that, I begin to wonder why those people don’t see or understand that there are far more worse situations that other people face.

I had to learn an agonizing life lesson early within my life. I have taken many things for granted, but there’s one event in my life that has made an impact on me and shape the perspective I have now. There was someone very close to me that I sadly took for granted. Someone who I never thought once would leave so early in life. I always thought I’d see this person for years and many more years to come. But it seems that life had a drastic change in its course. I lost my mother when I was 13 years old. At that time I was very shaken up and couldn’t accept that fact I would never be able to see my mother again. My thoughts were flooded with anger, regret, and pain. I was given the opportunity to live and grow with my mother for thirteen years. I thought back to the many harsh times I put my mother through. I kept telling myself I should’ve done this, I could’ve done that, and I wish I did this. But all of it wouldn’t matter because what happens in the past is left in the past. I only have now and the future. From that point on, I understood that I needed to really cherish the things in life I have now and continue to remember that.

I don’t want myself to go through the similar situations I faced. I don’t want to think of what I should’ve, could’ve done or I wish I had done. It’d be foolish if I were to proceed in life and continue to make the same mistakes. From my experiences, I understand what I have now, whether people or things, is a blessing. That is why I believe things in life shouldn’t be taken for granted.