Alicia - Charlotte, New York

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart. This I believe: that friendship is the backbone and the support for your life.

As a 17 year old teenager you could expect many friends to be extremely flaky and not capable of being true friends, and for the most part this is true, not only with teenagers, but even adults. I am lucky enough to have the two greatest friends a girl could ask for! My friends Leslie and Tessa are my backbone, they were the ones that are there for me no matter what, they never gave up on me and even put our friendship on the line to make sure I was safe and not doing something I was not suppose to be doing.

I was dating this guy who was a total jerk but he was like a drug that I could not get away from. I stopped seeing him and cut off all communication over the summer before my senior year. It was a hard thing to do and something that at the time I necessarily did not want to do; but my friends helped me see the truth in the relationship and helped me find a way out. My best friends were there for me and even put our friendship at risk in order to make sure I was safe, and was living a happy life without this guy.

Friendship does not only apply to me it is also a universal thing. Look at society today, many people are happily married; I grew up in a loving home with a mother and a father and my parents were each others best friends. In order for a marriage to work you need to have that support of a friend and that is what my parents are to each other! This idea of friendship is a universal idea that everyone can definitely relate to.

In my opinion this is the definition of friends, people that care so much about you that they want you to live a happy life. Friends to me and to society are your backbone, they are the ones you can rely on when things go bad, and they are always there to support you, no matter what!