Komal - Charlotte, North Carolina

This I believe.

All religions share the universal preaching of good versus evil. Most theologies teach their followers that if you are good you go to Heaven, and if you are bad you go to Hell. The word “Hell” has some scary connotations and if definitely scares me. I don’t want to go to Hell! Heaven, on the other hand, sounds amazing and it seems like all I really have to do…is be good and kind. To me, that doesn’t sound very hard. However, that sounds to like I’m being tricked in to doing good. I want to perform philanthropic deeds because that is what I choose to do.

Everywhere, I see people acting like little kids doing something for candy. Although most of the time candy represents money, I have also seen instances in which “candy” can be volunteering. Some of the people in my school volunteer their time to hospitals and animal shelters just to fill up their community service hours required for school. I, on the other hand, do good things because I believe that good is inherent. I believe that my decisions reflect my personality and my character. I don’t want my life to be a journey where I sit in a car, knowing that my benevolent actions will result in a green signal to Heaven. According to me life decisions should not be molded into a key that can be used to open the doors of Heaven. To me, the life I lead is as close to Heaven as I could ever want it to be. I’m not saying that my life is perfect. However, trouble comes and trouble goes. The times of hardship in my life teach me a lot of things that I have learned to value like perseverance, patience and not losing hope. When I do things like donating my hair to an institution of women suffering from breast cancer or helping the little kid next door with his homework, it instills faith in myself because I know that there is not even a teeny tiny drop of selfishness in what I’m doing.

My belief that I don’t do anything under the temptation of Heaven, or anything else for that matter, gives me a sense of control and contentment. My belief gives me self confidence in my actions and faith in my decisions. I’m proud of myself for not being one of those greedy kids looking for candy.