Nicholas - Charlotte, North Carolina

This I believe

My whole life I have been fortunate enough to be able to say what I want. This is thanks to the first amendment of the United States constitution which is the freedom of speech. I believe that the freedom of speech is one of the most important things that we have in our lives. There are so many people in other countries that do not have the privilege to speak their mind. I like how I am able to voice my opinion in any subject that I want. I think that it is important that people are able to do this.

I have always had a problem with being told not to voice my opinion. I have been in many arguments with teachers and parents and gotten in more trouble because I don’t shut up. But for me it doesn’t matter how much trouble I get in as long as I get to say what I want to say. I feel that people do not have not right to tell me to stop talking back because it is my constitutional right to have the freedom of speech. But even though we have that constitutional right we are still told we are not aloud to speak certain ways or talk back to people in places like school or work. The whole civil rights movement could never have happened with out freedom of speech. Without freedom of speech we would still be having difficulties like in the days when we had slaves. Freedom of speech has been a major force behind the movements in our country and it brought about a lot of important change. Without it we would not be the country we are today. Freedom of speech has brought about great things like the Women’s Right Movement and the abolishment of slavery.

I am very grateful that I have the freedom of speech. I feel so bad for the people in countries like Cuba and North Korea which are communist countries because their people don’t have the freedom of speech. They get in so much trouble if they talk bad about their government or disagree. They are not allowed to voice their opinions without fear of getting killed or put in jail. This is why I believe in the freedom of speech.