Kyra - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: hope

As a kid I’ve always enjoyed writing stories, mostly fiction at that age but I have come to also admire writings of truth and opinions. I want so desperately to attend the University of Wilmington to pursue a career in journalism. Unfortunately I was awakened from my dream by their high expectations of SAT and ACT scores, involvement in many academic clubs, essays upon essays expected in their applications and strong recommendations from teachers. My dream was pretty much shattered, and I almost settled for UNC Charlotte as my number one choice. Then I started questioning myself, “Why couldn’t I attend Wilmington? It’s not too late to make some changes.” I started to realize that if I kept a positive attitude and became determined to reach my goal I could do it. I signed up for an internship in Charlotte Observer, spend my afternoons perfecting essays, signed up for the SAT again, and made appointments with teachers to help prepare for the tests. This optimism that good will come out of my hard work has kept my dream alive and made me push myself to reach their high expectations and be accepted to their school.

I believe in being an optimistic person, rather than focus on my problems and issues which I cannot change. This prepares me when something negative happens to me. In order to feel content with the barriers that strike me on my road of life I need to anticipate the best in any situation. This helps me be ready for the curveballs life throws at me, challenging me in many ways.

If I choose not to be optimistic, I find it difficult adapting to changes I must face and obstacles to overcome. If I didn’t have a hopeful piece of mind when put in my situation I would probably be settled for something less then what I really want. However, I chose to let the positive leak into my system, and although it is time consuming, I know that my work is strengthening my chances, towards my goal. My positive outlook has encouraged this, and allowed me to believe I could overcome any obstacle put in my way.

Being an aspiring person can even turn the most negative things such as death to a positive learning experience. If I just look at death as a negative part of life it won’t benefit me or anyone in the same circumstance. Instead I look at the greater side, reflecting on memories and happier times. Having these hopeful aspects encourage me, even through the toughest times, and keep me hopeful for new beginnings. I have been through negative experiences thick and thin, but being optimistic encourages me to keep moving forward and believing the best will come out of any situation no matter what. I still have yet to apply to Wilmington, but even if I’m denied, I’ll keep my optimism, and settle for my second choice- all the while building up my portfolio to apply to Wilmington again.