Jonathan - Lancaster, New York

This I believe. I believe that homosexuality is not a choice. Many people argue that being gay was my “choice” rather than the lifestyle that I was born with. I can tell you from experience that I (and every other gay person) have been attracted to the same sex since the day we were born. I can remember going back to when I was three years old thinking my brother’s best friend Jeff Fink was so cute. I was three. One can not honestly tell me that I “decided” I was gay at age three. Our brains aren’t developed enough yet at that point to make a “decision” like that. Or how about this: As I was growing up into my teenage years our bodies start developing. Most boys were looking at a girl’s figure and how her chest was developing, for example. I, on the other and was watching as boys developed. I was not interested in how a girl’s legs looked or how her chest was developing. I was seeing how sexy a cute boy’s legs were, or if he had a nice chest and maybe some abs under that shirt.

Now don’t get me wrong, we may have dated or had sexual relations with the opposite sex, but I believe (and other gays do too) that it was a cover up to hide the coming out process or in fear of something larger such as a family member who does not agree with or understand homosexuality. To deal with this struggle that we have no control of, many people will hide “in the closet” for fears known only to that person. I am sure that the idea of wishing we could be heterosexual has crossed every gay person’s mind. Our lives would be easier with no prejudices. But it’s a fact and struggle of life. Because we did not choose this lifestyle for ourselves, we must deal with these struggles just like we struggle with college or a black person struggles with the prejudices against them. We have to adapt and overcome to the changing times.

Why would we, as homosexuals, choose to make out lives harder by being gay? Why would we choose to be looked down upon by others? Why would we choose to have people stare at us as we walk down the street hand in hand with our boyfriends (or girlfriends)? The fact of the matter is we don’t. We chose to be gay the same day that everyone else chose to be straight. Remember that because it is one hundred percent true—despite what you think.

There are days where someone makes a comment about “gays” or “fags” or whatever you want to call us. The comments may not be directed toward me (or anyone else) personally, but they get to you—eventually. And yes, maybe for that split second I wished I was straight. But let me tell you this: I have never been happier with the way God made me. I can not even fathom the thought of dating or even marrying a member of the opposite sex. My life is better than I could have ever imagined. So remember these words: I believe that homosexuality it not a choice.