Sunyoung - Northfield, Illinois

I believe in art as the expression of human personality.

My parents were protective people. Sometimes a little too protective. But I love them so it doesn’t matter to me whether they were too protective or not. My older brother was another protector of mine. He would always stick up for me, waiting for me if I fell behind. His outgoing personality had always brought people around him. I was shy, unable to communicate with others because I wasn’t comfortable. I get along better with people today but, I still have a problem with being too shy. I’ve gone through a lot and I want people to know, even the invisible ones, that we can’t always live in a sheltered world. I was a nobody but I was a nobody that could draw.

When I was alone, liked by teachers yet not by students, I would draw. I would draw the elements of nature and I would draw anything that I could see. I still draw now no matter what. No matter how bad it looks compared to the art formed by students who take art, my art brings out what I know and what my personality looks like. Now as a Sophomore, in the class of Punk, I draw designs that mean something. I draw abstract butterflies which represent flight and freedom. I draw stars that represent individualism. I draw leafy vines which show the creeping nature which once grabs a hold of something never lets it go. I still draw nature like it is no more no less, no embellishment, no marring, just like how it is. The simplicity of nature always makes me sigh and say, why aren’t people like that as well?

Usually when I don’t have paper I draw on myself. My mother thinks that it is a mark of low class, but I say that it’s my expression. I have a story to tell and through art I show my story. Through my designs I show my happiness and my pain, through my drawings I calm down from once angry thoughts. Others will complement my drawings saying that I should be a tattoo artist but I always smile and shake my head saying, ‘maybe, one day.” People will always comment it with their eyes or their actions or their words but most will not say, ‘someday I want that tattooed on my arm.’ I can say, ‘it’s your choice it’s not mine to make.’ I have a personality that adapts and changes. Before I was the perfect girl a mother could want. Good grades, good manners, good everything. Yet I wasn’t happy. Now I’m not perfect as I was before. I yell with my friends and I’m not afraid to stick up for myself even if I get into trouble for it. Through my art once light with innocence now filled with knowledge and more meaningful designs I express my personality through my art for the world to see.