Friendship Lives

Taylor - Altoona, Iowa

On the first day of junior high school, I walked into a whole new world. With my old friends dispersed throughout the school, I needed to find a new group of friends. Four hundred seventh graders can turn into a nightmare. It was very hard for me to meet new people, because I had been very shy in those days. Luckily, there were many others in the same position as myself. After a few weeks, I had become friends with a new group.

Throughout the year, I started to get to know the rest of the people in my class. After seventh grade, my two best friends and I did everything together. Everything included football games, movies, school sports, and video games. Our friendship continued into ninth grade. The end of our freshman year brought our trio down to two. One of my friends decided to move to a private school. A month later, I found out my other friend’s family was moving to Wyoming. I felt like I landed back in my first day of junior high.

I did not panic. I knew most of the kids in my grade by the time sophomore year rolled around. I never would have realized that my life was about to change forever. The first day arrived. It would be hard to find a new group or clique. It seemed like during summer everyone had decided who they were hanging out with. I asked myself, “What should I do?” I thought about it for a few weeks. I decided I would not find a core group again. Instead, I chose to make many new friends in different areas. I believed that having more friendships and acquaintances would be more fun and diverse.

During this year, I made many different friends. Although I did not hang out with them all of the time; I knew there was always someone at school to talk to or help. Somebody at school would always be there for me. I did find some more close friends. I made friends with some of the juniors and even freshman. When the end of sophomore year came I had a new outlook on friendship. The traumatic experience of my best friends moving away made me who I am.

At the end of my junior year, I ran for student body president. I knew that I never would have dreamed about it just a few years before. I changed my shy self from seventh grade into an outgoing person. I believe in friendship. Without my friends, I would could not have changed my ways of thinking. Before I thought friends were just people we talked to for something to do. I now realize that everyone is different, but we are all somewhat the same.

My friend that moved to Wyoming came back this summer to visit. It was just like old times. We talked about the move and how he went through some of the same things as me. As we hung out that day, I saw how friendship does not die. Friendship lives in a place inside us forever.