keenan - 97006, Oregon

African-Americans need to stop playing into the stereotypical rolls that society, media, adults, etc. has played out on us. Most African-Americans have played out the role of being ignorant, Irresponsible, zero ambition and motivation etc. Not all African-Americans play into these roles

When I was young my mother would always tell me “Never hit a woman, always treat a woman like a queen and one day you will find that special woman that’s there for you and she will treat you like a king.” She also said “Keenan, when you have a kid, I want you to always be there for your kid and the mother, and handle your responsibilities like a man.” What she said is right, and I will uphold that still to this day, I’ll never disrespect a woman how most African-American people do. Don’t get me wrong, not all African-Americans are like that its just more prone and leaning more towards that race.

But I did live up to one stereotype, being a young African-American and having a child myself. But I’m not going to be a dead beat father, I won’t run away from my responsibilities like most black men do. I wont do it, no matter what. My future is already planned out, and I am ready to take those responsibilities, and that is not what most black men do, like my father.

There’s a high percentage of African-Americans dropping out of school and running the streets, I don’t want to be another African-American doing the same. I’m behind in school but I’m still here, I’m still standing strong and handling what life throws at me.

I’m not going to be another kid that just drops out of school and runs the streets, and neglects his pregnant girlfriend. I’m not going to resort to selling drugs or being in a gang because I know that is wrong, and I want my child to be able to look up to me.

The first step of being a man is taking responsibility for his actions, it takes awhile for everybody to get on there feet, but their time will come.

But the point of this, is my belief against becoming a statistic, and my beliefs are the complete opposite of the life style that most men of my race. I believe that this is the right lifestyle.