A New Start

MONICA - ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico

For me, life has been like a rollercoaster with tests of fear and faith. From age 13 to 18, I lacked the love and knowledge from my parents, living with different family members every few months. At age 19, unstable, working 2 jobs, living everywhere and anywhere, I was finally able to save enough money to get my very own car and apartment. I believe with determination and faith you can climb out of any situation.

My parents were absent most of my teenage years, making it tough to learn right from wrong, forcing me to become independent. At age 13 my parents divorced causing my mom to be depressed. My mom left me and my brother home alone with no food for weeks at a time. My Dad started a new family and life, forgetting about us. The situation only became worse bills became too much causing us to lose everything. My mom had us living in unstable homes moving every few months. She even used my social security number for her own benefit. At age 18 I graduated high school knowing I didn’t want to be anything like my parents.

Not being 21, not having a co signer, and having bad credit due to my mother steeling my identity made it extremely difficult. I questioned life and felt like giving up. I couldn’t stand the idea of being like my parents and figured if I tried hard enough, saved more money, and put faith in myself, I would find a home. After weeks of discouragement, unapproved applications, and living in unsteady environments, I finally found a home. It is a small apartment only minutes away from school, better than I had expected. The accomplishment of moving into my very own apartment encouraged me to do bigger and better things. I gained a sense of satisfaction and assurance in myself, giving me the confidence to further my education and better my life.

Knowing I am now secure and stable, I have a sense of tranquility and peace. I can relax and take a deep breath; it feels excellent to say, “I have a home.” I appreciate things some take for granted and thank God for all the little things I have, from the shoes on my feet to the car I struggled to buy. It’s amazing how your life can change at any given moment. I cherish what makes me happy and fix what makes me sad.

We all have tribulations in life, they can make you weak or they can make you brave. With every large or tiny decision we make there is an outcome, for the better or worst. I believe no matter how deep of a hole you’re in, you can always climb out, as long as you have determination and faith in yourself. I was unable to control my beginning, but I have realized I am able to construct and create my end.