Lauren - Alexandria, Virginia

I believe in myself. More than anything or anyone in this world, I trust, value and respect myself. This has not always been the case. The journey toward believing in me began when I thought I had lost my one true love. When he left I felt empty, alone, and useless. I allowed the emotions to be self-fulfilling and define me as a sad, lonely and hateful individual. I allowed my current situation give me a reason to treat others badly, to make others hurt in the way that I had been hurt. After loosing many close friends and dancing a very slow, close dance with depression, I willed myself to wake up an pull my life together. I came to the slow realization that while loving and loosing is difficult, it is a part of life and to have been so hurt can be used as a blessing rather than a carte blanche to treat my fellow human beings badly. I started treating myself better. Eating healthier, exercising, moving, changing jobs and exploring my interests. Getting back to my faith and my God allowed me to reconnect with old friends and make wonderful new ones. Most importantly I began to treat the people that I love with respect and dignity as a reflection of the way I was living my life and conversely would like to be treated by others. Having gone from the lowest low now to the highest high I can say with conviction that I believe in myself and my abilities to affect not only my attitude but the lives and attitudes of those around me.