Jared - portland, Oregon
Themes: sports, work

Hard Work

Hard work is a very important aspect in the sport of gymnastics. Gymnastics

requires your whole body and many long nights. You have to put in 100% effort in

each and every turn you take or you face the possibility of being permanently

injured. To be competitive in the sport of gymnastics you have to be working in

the gym for at least 20 hours per week. This time is spent on conditioning and

working the many skills required to put together a great routine.

I have had many experiences with hard work. In gymnastics there are 10

levels with 10 being the hardest. To get here you must be able to perform 10 skills

and you must have certain difficulty and elements that are required. For most

people it is a long road that you only get a few chances to compete at. There are

also different meets in which you have to qualify to compete at. Such as the

regional competition which involves 5 states and all the gyms that are in them. To

get here you must finish your state meet with a certain all-around score or win your

event. The score that you need depends on what level you are in. You can only

qualify for this meet if you are at a level 6 or higher. There is also a national

competitionwith includes all 50 states. To make it to this meet you have to obtain a

even higher score then you needed for the regional competition. But you may also

qualify for to this meet by winning your event or getting in the top 6 for the all-

around competition.

At first this might seem impossible, but it is not. This is where the hard work

comes in. If you honestly try every turn and keep pushing you can make it to the

national level. I believe in hard work because I have had people tell me that I can

not do something or I could not make it to the regional meet. So I started to put in

the hard work required to make it there. This is where I started my belief in

hard work. Now that I know that I can work hard to do something it has helped in

many areas of my life outside the gym. I now can go and do many things that some

people might not want to do because it is harder but I do it because I have learned t

hat my hard work will pay off in the end.