David - beaverton, Oregon

This I believe.

The definition of friendship, is as clear as crystal but unclear to most. Who is really my friend in this world? There’s so many people that I can claim as “friends” but to really know is a whole different story. Good people are not always good friends, and good friends aren’t always good people.

It was finals week, the last day of the year, and my friend was hanging out with two of his “friends.” They were happy because school was out for summer. one of them got some alcohol and they started to drink. They drank a lot then they decided to go somewhere. The three of them started walking, and as they were walking through an apartment complex, my friend started to feel sick. He fell and passed out in the grass. His so-called “friends” left him there, they didn’t call anybody or take him to the hospital or anything, he woke up later in the hospital. He started to think, “so these are people I consider, “friends.” As the old Jewish proverb says, so with friends like these, who needs enemies?

Lately, now that I have been getting older and starting to grow up. I have realized many things, but one that is very important to me is the people that I consider real friends, I feel really lucky. I have been through a lot of hard times and when there were things that I didn’t want to tell anyone, but I had to because it was too much to handle holding it inside. My friends were there. These people I don’t consider friends anymore. They are my family, these people I know I can count on for the rest of my life, and these people even if they don’t say it deep down inside they love me, even if I never say it they know I love them. You might ask, how do I tell if someone is my real friend? I would answer, its simple yet complicated, there is factors involved that are not the same for every person, for me a big factor is honesty, because if my friends are honest with me, even if I don’t want to hear it, it could prevent me from doing something extremely stupid. Another factor is support, will my friend help me in my time of need or will they leave me hanging, or will they at least try to help me as much as they can.