Alex - Portland, Oregon
Themes: work

Everybody in life faces difficult challenges, and some of your most rewarding times come from when you felt like you were down the most. Everything good must end sometime, and when that time comes; that’s when you use hard work to find your way out of adversity and back on top of things, again.

In 2005, I was placed on Varsity soccer at Westview as one of three sophomores on a team with eleven seniors, and four juniors. Playing time was scarce and hard to come by due to the overload of upperclassmen. This meant that I was forced to work harder and harder each day just for a few more minutes here, and there. Teammates recognized such hard work put out by a player that didn’t play much and it only made them try harder daily. Eventually the work produced the only team in Westview’s history to go to the State championship game in Men’s soccer. That’s why my belief of hard work get your places you’ve always wanted to be.

Things don’t always work out like they should and depending on how its taken it can either work out for the best or the worst. Getting news of failure is sometimes the jump start you need to kick your hard work into overdrive. To spend just a little extra time doing something little; adds up overtime and eventually will come back to help. It’s been known that people grow content when they are never placed in a situation where their heart and pride are tested. So do not take adversity and shy away, yet take it and use it as motivation to grow.

There are so many different ways to go about life and how to be successful. I believe the only way to become successful is to put everything into the task at hand and positives are bound to happen. Life will always go on and experiences will end but the hard work put in and the success that’s achieved will never be forgotten.