Leslie - Portland, Oregon
Themes: equality

This I believe

Growing up the only difference between boys and girls was cooties. Now that I am grown up I realize that even in this day and age everything separates people especially their sex. This is something I have to deal with all day everyday.

I grew up as one of the guys and I wouldn’t change that for anything. But in doing this I took on a responsibility that I couldn’t have imagined I would have to deal with. I now spend everyday of my life proving to the world that females are just as capable at doing ANYTHING that a man can do.

Our society has developed immensely from the early 1900’s. There is still one thing that we can’t seem to avoid though, Sexism. As a woman in the “mans” world of automotive, I see it everyday. Not very many people think I can work on a car, when really I know more about cars and racing then most of the guys I talk to.

In my advanced automotive class I am the only female student. My teacher is female aswell. Even though this is the case, most of the guys if not all of them still treat me like i can’t work on cars. They do this even though they have seen me work on multiple cars adn our teacher is female. Lets just say it gets really old really fast.

The sex of a person has nothing to do with their ability to do something. Im am not sure why our society has yet to notice this but I believe that if they don’t notice soon they could be losing a huge part of what keeps the country going; women. And our country can not function with out the other half of the population.

If I look at sexism from a male point of view I see them getting affected too. Males have to go through the same thing. I just do not see the point of judging someone by their sexual organs. It has nothing to do with the way they think or act. Females can be just as immature as men and males can be just as emotional and sensitive as women.