Michelle - Melbourne, Florida

It was a time in my life when everything was uncertain, when I was swaying with the wind. I had a choice between two opposing lives. I met “Jesse” then. He had not spoken to anyone in over eight months and they had all given up on him. We sat out by the pond together and passed notes in the meetings. He was brilliant inside and could not express himself on the outside. We became friends. He talked to me and all I did that was different from the others was listen. His phrases were short, but thoughtful. He told me that he wished he could flap 200 times per second like a hummingbird. A few months later, we went our separate ways and “Jesse” moved away. He took a bartending class but could not get a job. He took classes at the community college and he got an A in his public speaking course. He went to California and one day he wanted a beer. He stopped taking his medication and he became psychotic. “Jesse” was schizophrenic. He lost over 50 pounds and almost died by the time anyone found him. “Jesse” cannot talk to me anymore. But his silence continues to motivate me to find a better treatment for people who suffer in silence because they are in there. I have the key in my head. I am in school earning my doctorate of psychology. I can help all of the Jesses. This I believe…