mellissa - redding, California

I believe in friendship. Without friendship, I think we all would go crazy. Friendship is the most important thing we will ever have in life. I think it is so important it should be one of our basic needs, such as food and water.

Where did the word friend originate from? What is its true name? A friend is a lover, literally. The relationship between Latin am?cus friend and am? I love is clear, as is the relationship between Greek philos friend and phile? I love. In English, though, we have to go back a millennium before we see the verb related to friend. At that time, fr?ond, the Old English word for friend, was simply the present participle of the verb fr?on, to love. The Germanic root behind this verb is *fr?-, which meant to like, love, be friendly to. Closely linked to these concepts is that of “peace,” and in fact Germanic made a noun from this root, *frithu-, meaning exactly that. Ultimately descended from this noun are the personal names Frederick, “peaceful ruler,” and Siegfried, “victory peace.” The root also shows up in the name of the Germanic deity Frigg, the goddess of love, who lives on today in the word Friday, day of Frigg, from an ancient translation of Latin Veneris di?s, day of Venus. (

A Friend is someone who is there for you when you are down, no matter what. A friend is someone who respects you, and does not judge you. A friend is someone who helps you when you get in a jam. For example, my best friend Mikey Anderson has been my friend since I was sixteen years old. He has always been there for me. When I was down because everyone in school had a boyfriend and I did not. So he took my out to the dinner and a movie. So then when he went to basic training for the U.S. Army I fell apart, because I thought he had gone straight to Iraq and was never coming back. I prayed for him everyday for three months, when he finally came home I was overjoyed, I thought he had died or got lost.

Talk to someone. Walk up to someone and say, hello, or hold the door open for him or her. You could also give them a compliment. For example, you could say what and amazing shirt. Where did you get it? For me that almost always works. You see when you ask a question it not only strikes up conversation but it could make the person feel good too. It sets common ground and common ground is what you want. That way you have something to talk about. But, always remember to never change yourself to fit better with a certain group or person.

A true friend is someone you can trust with anything. They are someone who likes you for you and does not try to change you. A friend is there to comfort you when you have had a death in the family or when you just had your heart ripped out of your body. A true friend is someone who will come and help you out of bad situation, when no one else will. A true friend does not talk bad about you behind your back, instead they tend to stick up for you, and say nice things about you. A true friend is someone you can go to for advice and are confident that they are not steering you the wrong way.

A friend is there for you when you need a shoulder to cry on, when you had a bad day, or when you just need to cry. A friend is there for you when you just need to talk and spill the beans. They are also there to just listen. A friend is there for random boy/girl talk. A friend is also there to just go to the movies and hang out. For example, my friend found out one day, when I was in high school still, that I was sad because I was the only one in the whole school to not have a date on a Friday night. So he called me up and asked me if I would like to go to dinner and a movie with him. This is what I consider a good friend.

There are many benefits of having a friend and one is you will never be lonely. You almost always will have someone to talk to and ask advice. The benefit of having a friend is that you know they will be there for you when you need them.

That is why I believe that friendship is the most important thing anyone could ever have in life. I know that without my friendships, I would go crazy from lack of socialization.