Bill - St. Louis, Missouri

I’m 62, but feel younger. My life has had some advantages, and I’ve had my share of joys – Yale College, Harvard Law School, 20 years of corporate law practice, and 8 years on the St. Louis School Board that I enjoyed and did well at. And I think I’m reasonably attractive, good-hearted, athletic, and well-adjusted, or at least sane. I’m a pretty good swimmer and runner, and a good dancer. I have many wonderful pets in heaven and a few left here on earth. They bring me joy and love every day. My dog kicks my butt in running, and I like that. It keeps me moving. Mummy the 3-legged cat has had her share of adventures, but never loses heart and always comes back for more.

But my life ambitions are not fulfilled and often it looks like they never will be. But I’ve never stopped pursuing my dreams, and presumably never will. As I always say, if you just do your best every day to be the best you can be, and never give up, you’ll get where you’re supposed to be going. That’s the theory, anyhow. On the days it’s hardest to believe that, it’s probably the most important to do so. At the very least, it does no harm. That’s my belief.

Since I was an adult, more than thirty years, I’ve only wanted two important things out of life: significant success in politics, which I have long believed I have gifts for, and a good love with a woman. I have neither. Most days it looks like I never will. Sometimes I think that God will give me my dreams, but I’ll be 97 at the time. Well, if that’s the plan, so be it. It’s hard to argue with the plan. Hopefully there is one for all of us. This I believe.

Sadly, most people, or at least many people, dont get their dreams in life. That’s why I always say it’s my dream to be successful in politics – to make other people’s more simple dreams come true. Significant public service and love – if I had to choose one, which would I choose? Sometimes I dont know, but sometimes I do. Love – maybe she needs me more than politics does. This I believe. And if I never get my dreams? Then all the lessons I’ve learned in this life are to prepare me better for the next one. This I believe, too. But I’ll still be sad in this one.