sarah - roanoke, Virginia

I believe in socialised health care. I can say this with the authority of one who has lived and worked in both the US and the UK. I believe in compassion, of being supportive, of providing comfort, encouragement and hope to those of our fellow human beings experiencing pain and suffering. I believe this support, compassion, encouragement and hope should be free of the worry of how it will be paid for, as worry and anxiety simply cancel out any nurturing or healing that is created.

I believe in higher taxes to pay for socialised health care. Insurance premiums are through the roof anyway, and insurance denials are the name of the game. How much would you be willing to pay to know that getting sick or injured didn’t mean you might have to give up your life-savings, your home, your kids’ college fund. Getting sick should not ever mean getting broke.

Let’s get rid of the insurance companies, get rid of the hour long waits on the end of the telephone listening to how important our call is to to them, let’s get rid of non-medical personel telling us what treatment we can and cannot have, let’s let the doctors tell us what treatment we need and then, let’s let them give to us.

My sister lives in Glasgow, Scotland and has Multiple Sclerosis. She receives the same treatment as every MS patient I have come accross in the US (at least 100). However, the government also gives her a car, renews it every 2 years. She sees a physical therapist every week for a maintenance program and goes to yoga, tai chi and water exercises, all for free. I can guaruntee no health insurance company in the US is going to pay for maintenance physical therapy.

I remember once an anthropologist interviewed on NPR saying compassion was what differentiated the more evolved societies from the lesser. A society that demands profit in return for some small measure of compassion sounds less than civilised to me.