Caitlin - Lakewood, New York

“This I Believe”

Many children are asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I myself remember many times through grammar school hearing all of my fellow classmates’ ideas as to the answer to this question. They always seemed to change week to week or year to year. However, my idea of what I would like to be when I grow up has never altered.

I believe that Education has a major impact on a person’s success. This is exactly why I want to enter my way into my own place in society as a teacher. This has always been my goal and it is now, as I enter my final semester before getting my degree at Niagara University, that I realize just how important our system of Education truly is.

Education is the root of all other practices and professions. Without our system of Education, our society would not be given the endless amounts of opportunities for success. Education allows people to strive towards any goal they themselves have. It has become a system in which regardless of race, religion, or background, everyone has the same chance at succeeding as to whatever they put their mind to. Our ancestors were not given this same chance. It is now that we are seeing generation upon generation attending grammar school to then move on to receive a high school diploma and finally more and more people are attending colleges and universities to further their studies.

Everyone remembers their ‘favorite teachers’ and why. For some it was because they were given ‘study-hall’ three times a week, but most students remember a teacher because they impacted their life one way or another through their teaching. I want to be this person. As I prepare to graduate from college and find my place as a professional, I know that by being part of our educational system I can help to develop the youth of ‘today’ into the skilled people of ‘tomorrow.’

Family and friends joke with me when I tell them that I want to teach Kindergarten. They will say, “Wow you get off pretty easy playing with crayons and blocks all day!” I usually laugh because it sounds like the truth since this is true to our generation and generations before us. However, after four years at a University and training in a classroom I know that this statement is far from the truth.

Students are being pushed to their farthest limits because we have the knowledge and capabilities to do so. Even at a Kindergarten level students are expected to know basic words in reading as well as develop two to three sentences of their own that they must attempt to correctly write. They are introduced to common themes of math including both addition and subtraction, as well as topics in science and social studies.

As you can see, Education is continually expanding and proving to strengthen our society at its max. I know what an impact our Educational system has on people and I am anticipating when I can truly add to helping an individual to reach their goal and to become a successful character among us. This I believe that Education is the key to becoming this person. Regardless of how you respond to, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” it all starts with striving to receive an Education.