Darrien - Orlando, Florida

Imagination is an important part in loosening up, not taking things to seriously, and having fun. It seems that as we grow older, our imaginations begin to fade away. This I do not believe. I believe in imagination. It is not that our imaginations fade, it is that we do not express them in the same ways that we once did when we were younger. This is a problem that can be easily fixed by freeing your mind.

I can remember times where my friends and I could simply go climb a tree, the big oak tree in my friend’s backyard, and we would turn it in to an adventure. We would pretend that it was not a tree, but maybe a mountain or a castle, and we would see who could reach the highest point. Something else that we would play almost every day was a game called Lava Monster. Now lava monster is a game in which you could not touch the ground because in our minds, it was boiling hot lava. The objective was to avoid the person chasing after you, sort of like tag except you were above ground.

Now that I am a little bit older, 16 years old, it seems that those games are not as much fun as they used to be. Things like electronics are what interest me more now and that is true with most of my friends too. Although, every now and then my friends and I will get together and play the games that were once so much fun.

Reading and writing are some of the ways that prove our imagination has not faded, but has been tucked away somewhere in our minds. Reading causes you to place yourself in the book. It might even fill in some of the blanks that the author might have left out, or maybe just play around with ideas that would make the story seem better to you. Writing lets us put our thoughts and feelings onto paper, but it can also let our minds wander free. Great writers have written some of the best stories, but what makes a great writer to me is someone with a great imagination.

Children seem to have mastered the art of imagination. Children have the ability to make all their wildest dreams and fantasies come true without money and material things. They make them come true by using their minds. Some may say that it is just make-believe, which is true, and it has no effect on the amount of happiness they get out of it. If only people could understand that it is not what you have in life that makes you happy, but the way you look at life that makes you happy.

Imagination is a vital thing to have in life. Without it, we would all be bland uncreative drones. So unlock the little box you have in your mind, and let your imagination run free. For you never know what great things your mind could come up with. I believe in imagination.