Hard Work Pays Off

Alan - Coralville, Iowa
Themes: work

Hard and work are probably the two words that I have heard the most in my life. They can be used to motivate, complement, or criticize. For me, they have mostly been words of motivation. I believe that hard work pays off.

I believe hard work pays off. Hard work in soccer has opened many doors for me. I didn’t start soccer until eighth grade, so I was a little behind the rest of the kids my age. I worked hard and got pretty good at it. Since that time I have had the opportunity to switch teams and play for the premier club in the state. I have had many opportunities to play in front of college coaches, and will be able to play next year if I choose to.

My grandpa is the definition of hard work. He dropped out of high school and joined the army, where he survived the Korean War. When he came home he was given his high school diploma in return for his services. He then got an internship at a struggling insurance company in Cincinnati. He worked hard and got the attention of the company owner who was very sick and very old. When he died he gave my grandpa the company and his son the stocks, my grandpa bought the stocks and took the company national before he sold it. My grandpa had to work very hard to go from a seven person family living in a two bedroom flat in Chicago, to owning condos in five different states.

Working hard in school has helped me in ways I didn’t think were possible. The most obvious way school has helped me is I have learned a lot and can survive in the world independently because of it. Also I have taken advanced math and science classes and worked hard in every class, so my grades are somewhat good. This is the best part because I have opened up more doors for college; my grades are higher so I can get into more universities. I have also learned about different professions and what it takes to become what you want to be. This has helped a lot so I can choose to walk the right career path and not regret it.

There are so many cliché statements about hard work, most of them used by coaches and teachers. You can see many of the statements on the back of the West High track team shirts. As much as you would like to say “that phrase is over used,” they are true, and in the end the harder worker will have more success. So this I believe hard work pays off.