Bethany - Iowa City, Iowa

“I’m that kid on every playground, that’s always chosen last.” (Don’t Laugh at me by Mark Willis) Some children running home in tears, while others scatter home with friends. A child sits on the swing by themselves watching their classmates run around as he or she wonders why they cant be a part of the fun that everyone else is enjoying. Young children are being subjected to rejection by their peers. This can damage them emotionally, make them feel lost inside and alone.

“Don’t laugh at me, don’t call me names, don’t get your pleasure from my pain.” Between being bullied to being completely ignored is hurting children all over the country. Kids these days don’t realize what they are doing to other kids when they act foully towards them. Many kids will stomp on others just to be accepted or in a ten year olds words, “Just to be cool.” These actions can cause someone to feel alone, like a “nobody” and they can start to dislike themselves by starting to believe the other kids.

“You don’t have to be my friend, but is it to much to ask?” If cheerleaders, jocks, musicians, or whatever group one falls into, would stop and include an outsider they would or possibly could be doing one of the best things that’s ever happened to the “lone.” Most kids don’t realize how much they can change someone’s life even if it’s just saying hello or maybe a friendly nod in the hallway rather then a shove. Being acknowledged from someone can help boost self esteem and possibly allow them to find confidence to go out and find friends.

“I’m fat, I’m thin, I’m short, I’m tall, I’m deaf, I’m blind, hey aren’t we all?” Reaching out to somebody who you know doesn’t fit in can be beneficial for them but also for the one reaching out. Going outside the box, or going against what other classmates are saying and trying to attempt a friendship with an outsider can bloom a friendship that you never though possible. One doesn’t know until they try. Everyone has something to offer as a friend. Just because people are different doesn’t mean they can offer good qualities as a friend. By taking the chance and getting to know someone outside ones usual “click” can open up the idea that: judging someone based on just their looks, hobbies or maybe just on others opinions is wrong because everyone has their flaws, but also has their good qualities.

“Someday we’ll all have perfect wings.” Everyone should have an equal chance of finding friends, but that’s just not how it is today. Next time you see someone sitting by themselves or watching a game and wishing they could play, include them. You never know, it may change their life!