Carlos - Iowa City, Iowa

Everyone makes mistakes. They come and go, but the people who succeed are the ones who take advantage of their errors and learn from them. I believe people learn form their mistakes because they don’t see mistakes as flaws, but as opportunities to improve the things they do and or how they do them.

I made many mistakes when I was young, but I definitely learned from them. Around the age of three, I was just beginning to discover new things and learning how they worked. One day I found the sizzling iron on my parents’ bed. I wanted to know what it was so I crept over to it. I could see and hear it but I still didn’t know what it was. I reached to touch it and right when I did, I burnt my fingers. I never thought about touching an iron again because I didn’t want to feel the pain. This shows how it’s natural for someone to learn from their mistakes.

My mistakes evolved especially in school, but it caused me to become stronger by learning from them. I remember not studying for a test because I thought I knew all the material, but surely enough, I didn’t. I received a low score. After that test, I got A’s on all the next tests in that class. I learned that even if I think I know the material; I still need to study and study hard. Along with tests, I learned that doing my homework plays a huge role in my success for a class. There was a few times when I didn’t do my homework and soon after that, my grades began to fall. I realized that my grades where declining because I didn’t do my homework. I noticed my mistake and corrected it. Now I am using my mistakes and learning from them to help me, not just to keep me safe from an iron, but to improve my habits.

Making mistakes is a big part of soccer and other sports. It’s what makes a player better because they learn to do things another way in order to do it right and not make errors. Its not competent when I or another player gives away the ball, but it’s knowledgeable because we realize what we did is not working so we try to do something different. This illustrates how a player can and will make a mistake, but in order to improve the next time he or she has to learn from it. The same process is repeated through out the game whether it’s a player shooting, passing, dribbling, or defending the ball.

I believe people learn from their mistakes because if they didn’t no one would get anywhere or achieve anything. They would be caught making the same mistake repeatedly. Once a person comprehends that they are making a mistake, they can solve the problem to get past the barrier that was obstructing them and accomplish what they wanted.