Sarah - Iowa City, Iowa

Throughout my life, I have tried to fit in with the majority. As a result, I didn’t always do the things that I truly loved. Only recently did I realize that I was not happy when I was following the majority. I began to wonder what I truly want and why I do the things I do. That’s when it hit me; one cannot be happy in life if one forces it.

“To be happy in life, one should do the things one loves, not what the others love.” Many people have told me this in many different occasions. Though it may be a cliché by now, it still holds true. I always try to remember that my character is far more important than my reputation. Because reputation is merely what others think I am, I try to be more concerned with my character rather than with my reputation. By expressing myself, I feel great that I don’t have to pretend that I’m enjoying something I’m not in reality.

My best friends are all over achievers. When we became high school students, all my friends took up on honors and AP courses. Having ten best friends, I didn’t want to be an outcast. So, as a freshman, I took two science courses and two math courses – How insane is that? I guess I could say that that was the most unpleasant academic year. It was similar the following years; taking mostly honor courses, I was stressed out and sleep-deprived. However, this year, I am taking a light load to pursue my happiness. Instead of devoting my time to academics, I have begun to focus on my true desire: music making. I must say, compared to the previous years, I am so much happier in life.

Don’t get me wrong though, I am happy in life thanks to my amazing friends. It’s true that they have made me feel pressured to take difficult courses, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are the reason that I look forward to school. Unlike those that dread school, I go to school with a positive attitude that I would be seeing my friends. Thus, one should be with the people that one loves, because it just lightens up life as a whole.

Life is tough and I sometimes find myself not knowing what to do. This has resulted in my bad habit of following the majority. However, I have not always found the answer when I tried what the others were doing with their life. Consequently, I wasn’t content with the quality of my life either. I learned that I am who I am, and that no one is the same in the world. Therefore, I believe that one should pursue what one loves and be with loved ones so that one may live a blissful life.