A Melodic Attitude

Adam - Coralville, Iowa

Snow fills the window sills of the multicolored window panes of the church sanctuary, a large mass of college students file onto the creaky risers, a Christmas performance is about to begin. Silence falls onto the captivated audience as the first solemn line of “Silent Night” is hummed as the clock strikes midnight throughout the dim haven. As candles are lit all over the congregation, the light smell of burning wax fills the cold December air. While a soloist chimes a descant above the final stanza of the somber melody, silence falls on the sanctuary once again; another Christmas has begun at St. Olaf College. Music moves people, more than they really know. It sets the tone of everything, background noise to our daily lives. It creates jobs, friends, and family. No matter what genre, anyone can find something that suits their unique taste. Music has an endless set of possibilities. I believe in music.

Music fills my day; I cannot get away from it, even if I wanted to. It affects my daily life, and even the culture around me. From the latest Rap hit, to an old Led Zeppelin song, groups of people live off of what they listen on the radio or the latest update to their Ipod play list. The technological world has been revolutionized by music. Ipod adapters for your car and mp3 players in every new cell phone, the community cannot get enough of life’s little jingles. Without music, life would be a boring silence.

This boring silence is filled in many ways, but the best way is your own doing. Playing around on a piano, jamming away with your friends on your shiny Stratocaster, it provides entertainment, a release of emotions, and a sense of accomplishment. I have had bad days, who doesn’t. But I found my way of dealing with stress, playing it away on my baby grand piano. I am sure that I am not the only one who uses music as a stress reliever. Playing away pains, or playing away to pass the time, music is medicine for the soul.

Music has a way of touching ones soul, if it is from creating it or building your own melodies. The solemn Christmas night tune of “Silent Night” can be just as moving as the reunion tour of Led Zeppelin. I believe in emotion, I believe in the pursuit of happiness, and I believe in music.