Kelli - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: children

Children are extremely enthusiastic, carefree, and genuine, and being around three-, four-, and five-year olds for a few hours everyday helps me see that adults need to strive to be more like them in every way. Children are loving creatures who never dwell on the past, hold grudges, or take little things for granted. Their hearts contain the purity and excitement that I wish everyone could capture and hold on to as we grow older. It is because of this that I believe in being a kid at heart.

Growing up, I remember getting excited about everything: going outside to play, getting a new toy, dancing to music, etc. It never mattered to me how big or small the event was, I just wanted to have fun. Working at a daycare now, it is easy to recollect the feelings of childhood, and more often than not, I wish it was easier for me to get excited about little things, or not take anything for granted. I find myself getting lost in everyday life. I go through the motions, worry about the bad things that might happen, and forget to think about the good things that do happen.

Children take the opposite approach to life; they only think about today. They do not care that their best friend called them a name yesterday; they are just happy to have that person to play with in the sandbox again. Little kids rarely think about the bad things that happen in their lives, but, if they do, it is only for a minute or two. They say what is on their minds, do what they want, and never think about consequences. I think that most adults think too much, overanalyze little details and worry way too much about the future.

The kids that I work with have taught me that I can still enjoy being a kid no matter how old I am. I watch the news, but I also watch Disney movies like Cars and High School Musical. I get dressed up and look nice for school and work, but I also get dirty and play in the mud. I do my homework every night but I also play video games like Guitar Hero 2 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. As we age, we often think that we need to be serious all the time to be taken seriously, however, if people could keep the kid in their hearts, a lot of people’s lives would be less stressful and more carefree today.

I still go through my daily routine but every so often, I slow down and make time to get excited about the little things, and this helps me be happy and optimistic about everyday life. Since I started my job, I take less for granted, and appreciate that I’m alive and surrounded by people I love. I believe that everyone should be a kid at heart because it has made my life much better, easier, and more fulfilling.