Everything Works Out

Coleen Cecile - Pleasant Hill, Iowa
Themes: hope, setbacks

Have you ever thought your life sucks and it’s not going to get any better? Well I know I have. Sometimes I lose hope and just want to sit in a corner, curl up into a ball, and ignore all my problems. However, I just can’t stop going on because bad things happen. When I feel down I just think of times where things have gotten just as bad or even worse and how eventually they got better.

Last year was my first year of high school and on the first day I had one of the loneliest experiences I’ve ever had. I came to school prepared for anything, or that’s what I had fooled myself into thinking. When I arrived at school I found out my schedule had changed and slowly began to freak out. I thought it wouldn’t be that bad until I found out I had A lunch (a.k.a. the senior lunch) with no one I knew. When lunch came I quickly bought my food and sat down at a table by myself. I felt like a loser all alone. While I ate I kept thinking that I couldn’t survive a whole semester eating by myself. After school I went to the counselor’s office to get my schedule changed. I felt relieved when they said they’d change it especially after all I told them is that I’m a freshman and I have A lunch all by myself. My lunch got switched to a later time and my schedule worked out pretty well.

Other examples that I think of where things always work out are in movies. In one of my favorite movies The Notebook Noah and Allie are two young lovebirds that were separated because Noah was poor and Allie’s parents didn’t approve. Allie was sent away to school and found a new rich fiancé while Noah fought in the war and became a carpenter. Years after being separated fate brings them together and their love is rekindled. Allie was forced to choose between her first love and her fiancé. She chooses Noah and their love keeps them together till death.

I believe that everything will eventually work out in the end. Every bad situation has the potential to evolve into something great. After the first day of school I was happy to get my lunch switched, but then I was sad I started off the school year with such a bad day. Nevertheless, my freshman year also turned out to be the best school year I’ve ever had so far. In The Notebook Noah and Allie where separated for a long time and it wasn’t fair. Despite years of being apart they still ended up together and their love became stronger than ever. Life isn’t fair, but I believe that it’ll all work out.