Trust Me On This One

William - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: family, integrity

On a daily basis, as I walk out the door, I hear the same words from my mother’s mouth: “Be careful.” I realize it is a motherly habit to be protective of your children, but does she need to say it said every time I leave?

I am seventeen years old and a senior in high school. My experiences are limited in number, but I have gained a lot of information from them. My common sense, debated as it is, is not something that usually fails me. I know what right is and what wrong is. I have had various leadership positions and know what it takes for people to look up to you. I know how to teach people new things, how to have fun while doing it, and how to get them to be serious. I have done that through marching band, scouts and sports.

I am not a child anymore. I am almost an adult, yet I am treated like a child at times. My parents constantly remind me of things I already know: what I have going on, what time it is at, where it is, and how I should behave. They want to consistently know what I am doing, even when it is obvious what I am doing. I will tell them, “I am going over to a friend’s house to play football and hang out afterwards.” Still they want to know exactly what I’m doing.

Do not get me wrong. I love my parents and all they do for me. Currently, they house, feed, and cloth me. They handle my cellular phone bill and my car insurance. My parents are willing to work their own schedules around my ever-changing routine. They even cover all the unexpected fees I encounter. Such as band fees, haircuts, club shirts, etc.

My quarrel with them is their inability to trust me. Although they do not say it, I get the feeling they do not trust me at times. I must continuously ask permission if I can do anything at night. My parents’ response is, “Where will you be, who will be there, what will you be doing and when are you coming home?” They obviously fail to see that I am capable of making correct decisions on what suits me best. I know that if I partook in something I shouldn’t, not only would there be repercussions at home, but I also would not be allowed to participate in many of the activities that I enjoy.

My parents have the best intentions, but they are ill-placed. I understand that they are trying to be caring parents, but they are overdoing it. Rather than feeling secure that my parents want to keep my safe and leaving with an upbeat demeanor, I leave with a slight annoyance that can be seen through my step. I doubt I am alone in this feeling.

I believe that parents can give their children a break once in a while. We get along great but when you repeatedly tell us the same thing, I think you could lighten up. We appreciate all you do for us and the amount of concern you show for our well being, but we am growing up and want some independency in our life. We want our parents to be able to not have to worry about us and be able to trust that we are doing things that are beneficial to us.