Mickinen - Runnells, Iowa
Themes: gratitude

What I believe…

“Ooooooh, mom I want that. NO. I hate you, you are so unfair.” Sound familiar? If you listen you will hear this over and over again at the grocery store, at the mall, and almost anywhere else you will go.

This kind of “unfair” is not exactly what I am talking about–little kids or even adults whining because they do not get every single thing that they want. When I say unfair I am talking about people who die day after day over stupid stuff, or even preventable stuff, just because of where they live, how they live, or what they are doing. People who die from wars they do not believe in. People who die from starvation or from very simple diseases like the common cold or pneumonia in third world countries, while the United States is overflowing with, well, has plenty of, antibiotics to go around. Also people who win the lottery, who says one lucky person deserves three hundred million dollars while three hundred million people across the world die because they can’t even get a piece of bread to eat, water to drink that will not make them sick, a shirt to put on their back, a pair of shoes to wear, a bed to sleep in, or even a house to live in. While many of these problems occur in third world countries, many of them occur right here in the United States, too.

Not everything is about rich or poor though. Those who are born with handicaps, mentally and physically, have a very hard time with life because of these problems. They can’t do the same things as other people. Also those who are taken at a young age by murderers, accidents, or any other way have gotten stuck with the crappy side of life.

I sit in my nice, cozy bed writing this paper and watching T.V. with my only worry being to get this paper done on time so I can pass a class, not if I am going to die or if I am going to have to kill someone, or how I am going to survive tomorrow. Just not to get yelled at is my only motivation.

While life is unfair at times and everyone isn’t given an equal chance, I believe my life is pretty good. I believe in being thankful because tomorrow it could be my turn to get the crappy side of life.