Perseverance Leads to a Prefect Ten

Charis - Des Moines, Iowa

Gymnastics has always been a huge part of my life and always will be. I keep moving on even when things aren’t going the best, because it always brings a smile to my face. I definitely keep learning that as things get tougher and tougher.

When I was five I remember going to my old gym, my class with forward rolls and cartwheels and soon becoming a level ten. But as soon as I made it to the top I found I had to move. Not just across town, but to a whole new state. What that meant for me included moving to a whole new gym. I felt as if my world was tearing apart.

When I moved to Des Moines the first thing I had to was find a new gym. I tried Chow’s and Cardinal and I liked both, but they each were at least 30 minute drives. Finally, I ended up at Triad Gymnastics in Ankeny and found it to be the perfect fit. I trained there for the rest of the summer. As season began I decided to move back to level 9. It ended up to the best thing I could’ve ever done. I even went to Westerns that year, and placed first on bars, which is better than I could’ve ever done at nationals.

Going into the next season, I found my own troubles again. In October, two days before I was going to an elite training camp in Texas, I broke my elbow. That set me back through out the whole entire season. It was really hard getting back into it. Although I still went to nationals that year and placed ninth on bars, I found out needed surgery because my fracture hadn’t healed completely. It took a while for it to heal and get full range of motion but I eventually got there.

Things were going very well this past year until I sprained my right ankle. As soon as I started working everything again, I sprained my left. Even now, nearly a year later it has still been bugging me and I haven’t been able to do everything 100%. With all of this going on it was hard to compete. I ended up watering back all of my routines which is always troublesome when you know you can do better. At nationals in Cincinnati, OH, I competed some what normal. It really did help that I had stayed off of it through out the entire season, because I had the best meet that I had had in a long time. I placed 3rd on bars, 9th on beam, and 15th over-all. That may not sound the best but when you’re talking in the nation, it’s amazing.

Gymnastics has taught me many lessons but the main one would definitely be perseverance. There have been many times when I have thought of quitting but then I remember why I’m there and all of the hard work I’ve actually put into it just because I love it. I can’t actually imagine myself without it. When the world says give up, hope whispers, try it one more time. That is what I believe.