I believe it’s never too late

Ashley - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: family, hope

Growing up my parents got divorced when I was very young. I never knew my real mom; all I had was my step-mom, who I consider to be my real mom. After my parents got divorced, I never talked to or knew anything about my mom, and thought I would never know anything. As my brother and I got older we realized that we wanted to get in contact with her. We wanted to know who she was. My dad and step-mom were fine with our decision and did all they could to find her, but she was nowhere to be found. Several times my dad received phone calls asking for my brother, but he was never home. One day he was and my dad gave the phone to him. I stood next to my brother looking at his face. I had never seen that expression on his face ever in my life. He looked serious but at the same time very nervous and anxious to tell me what he had just heard. I stood there listening to him with a blank face. My mom had gotten remarried and the person who called was her husbands’ daughter. He reported that we had finally found her. My heart was pounding so fast, I never thought this was possible.

After that conversation on the phone we kept in contact by e-mails and a couple of phone calls every so often. She lived in South Korea, so the winter break of my 8th grade year my brother and I went to visit her. Leading up to the day we would see her I didn’t know what to do. I never knew I would be there seeing my mom in so many years. When the day came I was so overwhelmed.

I had no idea what to expect. It was a good thing I had my stepsister, her husband, and daughter with us because I didn’t know what she looked like or anything. Finally we found her. She gave us this huge hug and tears were flowing down her and my face. It felt good to see her for the first time in many years. Seeing those tears made me realize that she did care about us, and she had been waiting for that moment for a very long time, just like we had been waiting. I had found the other part of my life that was missing for so long.

My brother and I still keep contact with her through e-mails or phone calls. The relationship we have built between all three of us has grown, and we want to keep it that way. We don’t want to go back to losing her again, after what we had gone through to find her.

Never in my life did I think it would be possible that I would find my real mom, but I was proven wrong. It did take a long time to get there, but in the end I believe it’s never too late.