The Appropriate Time

Lindsey - Runnels, Iowa
Themes: family, respect

My mom always says, “Sorry isn’t going to cut it.” Most people do say sorry after criticizing or doing something rude and hurtful. I believe people think saying sorry to somebody is the easy way out of a problem they are dealing with. To an extent sorry is not, always enough. I believe sometimes people just need to take responsibility for their actions.

“I’m sorry” is sometimes a fine response, for example when a person bumps into somebody in the halls or accidentally knocks their papers off their desk, that’s the appropriate time to say sorry. When causing small accidents sorry is enough to solve the problem. However when you promise somebody that you will stop doing something that they have repeatedly asked you to stop doing because it really bothers them and you keep doing it.

It was a warm fall night. My friend and I wanted to go to this bonfire to hang out with a bunch of friends. So we came up with this brilliant plan, so we thought. To tell our parents that we were staying at each others house so we could stay out all night and do what we wanted. We both new it was the wrong choice to make but we just wanted to be adventurous and experience something new. I new I was going to have to decide what to tell my parents if they were to find out. However I was not sneaky enough and they found out about the whole situation. My parent’s lost all trust for me. I new by this time sorry wasn’t going to cut it. There was no way, just saying sorry was going to make my parents regain my trust back, I new I would have to work for it, if I wanted to regain their trust.

I believe saying your sorry after a mistake, no matter how bad the mistake is or how hard it is to say, its the polite thing to do. It won’t make the pain you have caused to go away. I have experienced this situation many times with my parents. Not because I lie to them about situations I have come across but for the little things like when deciding if something is the right or wrong decision to make. As if I was to make the chioce to take a tone with my mom over something small and stupid. I try and tell myself that I know the right choice I just need to choose to make it no matter what the situation. You are your own person; make your choices for yourself not to satisfy others. Sorry can get you forgiveness, but can’t always fix the mistakes you have made.