Wesley - Altoona, Iowa

Satisfaction is not what others think of you, but what you think of yourself. I know everyone wants to be the cool guy on campus, but I have recently discovered that one does not need to satisfy others to feel satisfied. One person may find playing football satisfying, while another finds satisfaction in getting an A+ on a test. I believe everyone should work toward satisfying themselves, not others.

On a recent afternoon, I was running in a high school cross-country meet; throughout the race I thought about goals for my race and how to reach them. Toward the end of the course, I could only think of one thing: win. The race was coming to a close, and I could see the gentlemen in front of me beginning to slow for the last four-hundred meter struggle. As I slowly started to increase my speed, in hopes of catching him, I pondered if I had enough energy to make it to the finish line. As I closed in on the back of his muddy singlet, I heard him breathing loudly. He looked back, and I saw him panicking. Although it would be over in seconds, I knew it was going to be a long fight. I dug in, looked straight ahead, and closed quickly on the finish line. During these few seconds, I sprinted to beat my opponent. When I passed him at the finish line I knew I had beat him mentally and physically. I realized, throughout the whole race, I focused on my goal. Focus is also instrumental in my academic life.

I know school will be the basis for my life, and it needs to be treated this way. While in school I treat every day as a learning experience, for instance when I receive my report card in the mail, I do not accept anything less than passing for myself. I am an all A honor roll student, and I see my goals fulfilled every time I see my updated grade. When I see I am getting an awesome grade, I feel ecstatic and experience a strong feeling of satisfaction. Although it is just something I do on a regular basis, I still feel self satisfaction.

My parents always tell me how much they expect out of me, but I know that I can exceed those expectations. Hearing their complements adds to my satisfaction, but I always push myself to do better, for my own pride. No matter what one is doing, one must do it for oneself and not for others. Shannon Miller ,a prestigious Olympian in the uneven bars said, “Other people may not have high expectations for me, but I have high expectations for myself.” Everyone must have goals in order to have success, and success is only as far as one would like to take their own goals.