Don’t Hold Back

Kristin - 50237, Iowa
Themes: fear

“Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game,” said Sam from A Cinderella Story. As we go through life we have good times and bad times, and sometimes we get scared of what’s going to happen. Sometimes we let fear interfere with what we want in life; and we shouldn’t. I believe in not letting fear hold me back.

Everyday we have fear, whether it’s about something new at work or speaking in front of the class, but the key is not to let it hold us back. For me it was riding a roller coaster. I remember earlier this year I promised my friend I would do something I’m absolutely terrified to do. That was to ride a roller coaster.

Not just any roller coaster, but the Patriot at Worlds of Fun; a roller coaster that goes fast and upside down and has all kinds of loops. As I waited in line to get on the ride, my stomach kept turning and I had butterflies that were moving all around inside. I wanted to run out of the line as fast as I could. My friend kept saying, “You’ll be ok,” and “You can do it,” so I stayed in line. Finally, it was my turn. My friend and I sat in our seats and I held on tight. Then, it started. During the entire ride I screamed at the top of my lungs, but it was a good kind of scream. We got off the ride I was in awe; you could’ve pinched me and I wouldn’t have even noticed because I actually liked that roller coaster and I rode it again that night. I thanked my friend for encouraging me to conquer my fear.

Riding that roller coaster was a huge fear for me that I had since I could remember. When I got on that roller coaster and rode it, it felt so good to know that I don’t have to be afraid of roller coasters; that they are actually fun and exciting to ride. If I wouldn’t have pushed myself to ride that roller coaster and had the encouragement from my friend, I probably would have never ridden it. I know now that if I just push myself to get past the fear of it all, then I can do anything I want. Maybe next time I’ll hold a snake, or a scary bug.