“Hakuna Matata”

Tina - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

I need to do this. I need to do that. I don’t have time to do this or that. What do I tell myself when I feel this way? “Hakuna matata.” Like Timon and Pumbaa from the Lion King said, “‘Hakuna matata,’ it means no worries for the rest of your days.” Timon and Pumbaa live by this motto, and they live an easy, happy life. They don’t care that they eat insects and bugs. They don’t care that they only have each other. They love that they can call the whole jungle their home. They love that they can do whatever they want. “Hakuna matata.” I believe I should live by this motto, too. I believe I should live life without any worries, because life with a bunch of worries is not exciting. If a problem comes my way, I’ll repeat to myself, “Hakuna matata.”

However, it’s not as easy as it sounds. I walk through life full of worries. I find myself thinking more than actually doing. School, family, and friends are always on my mind. The pressure of school haunts me. Homework, tests, and more homework. I struggle to get it done. But I need to do well in school, because I want to get into a good college. Also, I have to make my parents proud, because they risked their lives for me to be here. They lecture me about how I need to take advantage of the opportunities I have, and how I need do my best. I try so hard to please them, but it never seems like it’s enough. I need to be there for my friends, because they’re always there for me. Everything is just too much.

I say enough already. All my worrying gets me no where. I believe life should be full of adventures, because I only live once. “Hakuna matata.” I believe I should take risks. “Hakuna matata.” I don’t care if I get hurt. I want to have fun. I believe I should experience everything that life offers. “Hakuna matata.” I want to wake up everyday with a smile and be glad that I’m alive. I believe I should relax. “Hakuna matata.” I believe I should chill out. “Hakuna matata.” I believe I shouldn’t worry so much about school, family, and friends. I should just take life as it comes. “Hakuna matata.”

But I can’t go too far. I still need to be responsible. I know school is important. I need a good education to succeed in the future. School is a high priority along with my family. My grandparents raised me to respect my family. Family will always be important to me. I will always have worries throughout my life, but I shouldn’t let things stress me out too much. I need to be responsible, but at the same time remember to have fun. “Hakuna matata.” No worries.