Why Worry?

Brandon - Runnells, Iowa

Do I do this or should I do that? What are my friends going to think? Should I date this person? These are questions that everyone has asked themselves. I believe that life is too short to always be constantly worrying about what people think. Am I wearing the right clothes? Does my hair look alright? It doesn’t really matter what other people think, because I have no one to impress.

In my earlier high school years I cared way too much about what people thought of me. Worrying added stress to my life. It was stress that I didn’t need. Everyday when I got up for school I would look for my nicest outfit. It would take me forever to get ready, because for some reason I thought I had to look perfect.

I was a follower instead of a leader. I would hang back in the group and try to know what everyone was talking about. Sometimes my friends would be talking about something that I didn’t even agree with, but just to make sure no one looked down on me I would agree with them anyway. I realized that this lifestyle was not better. Life wasn’t any easier.

When I decided to change my ways and not care about what people thought of me, my life became much easier. I started telling myself, “I don’t care anymore.” “I don’t care what any people think of me.” Why should I? Making the change has actually helped me make many more friends, and all of the friends that I tried to impress before are still here with me anyway. Now, when I wake up, I wear what I want to wear. In group discussions I say what I want to say. I have grown into a leader, and left the follower in me behind.

My advice to high school students: Do what you want. It’s the best way to go. It takes a load of stress off of your shoulders, and it helps you be more outgoing by finding yourself. Instead of trying to impress everyone, be yourself. Worrying about what everyone thinks of you is an easy way to waste your short life away. No one wants to look back and regret all of their worries. Nobody wants to say, “I worried my life away.”