Gaby - Orinda, California
Themes: integrity

I believe that honesty is the most important factor in healthy relationships. A couple months ago, I did not believe this. I believed that lying could get me what I wanted and keep trust with the people in my life. I never saw how I affected my relationships with the people I love. By keeping everything to myself, I was losing my family and my friends. My parents still saw me as the innocent girl they used to know. In their eyes I was still “daddy’s little girl.”

At the end of my junior year in high school, my relationship with my family suffered. I was never home and when I would leave the house I wouldn’t tell them where I was going or what I was doing. Truth is, I was doing things they wouldn’t approve of and I did not want them to find out. I lied when my parents would find things in my car and manipulate them into thinking it was someone else. After my constant lying and manipulation, my parents stopped believing the things that came out of my mouth. I dug myself into a deep hole and I couldn’t find a healthy way to get out.

Over the summer I was sent away to work through the issues I had been hiding from my parents. At the program, I learned how important honesty is in a relationship. When I was honest with my parents, they were there to support me and help me through a tough period in my life. I spilled everything to them, my life story. They were surprised but happy that I was able to admit to the things I did. I took accountability for all the bad things I had done and showed them that I knew what I did. We now have a very honest and open relationship. I know that I can turn to them if I ever need help or just want to talk something through. I’ve learned that “the greatest truth is honesty, and the greatest falsehood is dishonesty.”